BACK TO SCHOOL CLEANING TIPS
Since the kids are going back to school in the next few weeks, you will have more time for yourself at home. After a hectic and busy summer, now is the best time to start getting your house ready for the fall. So, why not take this opportunity to catch up on some allergy- friendly cleaning?
Here are a few tips to eliminate allergens and help keep your family safe and healthy:
1) Vacuum all the surfaces that are soft: especially those you may not think to clean so often. Allergens can be trapped in pillows, throw blankets and curtains, thereby making the air inside your house unhealthy. Regular vacuuming of your mattress is important, because it provides the ideal atmosphere where dust mites can thrive.
2) Cleaning under furniture: kids often drop their clothing, toys and even crumbs of food under their beds and furniture.Therefore, it is very necessary to vacuum and mop underneath. Also, we need to pull away the furniture from the walls and clean those spaces to remove all the dust and mould that may be lingering there.
3) Washing of soft items and other plush toys: Favourite Kiddies blankets and stuffed animals can also harbour dust mites and pet dander, especially as they are not washed so often. Most of the soft toys, are safe to run at high temperatures inside the washing machine. But, if any child is sensitive to having it’s favourite stuffed toy washed, another method is to seal them up in plastic bags and put them in the freezer for a few hours.
4) Washing all winter clothes: Your children’s clothes that have been hanging in the closet for months unused, can still collect dust and mildew. So, now is a good time, to run these clothes through the laundry or send them to the dry cleaners, so once it begins to get cold outside,your children can start using the fresh clean winter clothes again.
5) Replacing air filters when necessary: It is very easy not to pay attention to this routine house maintenance. Guidance should be provided from the manufacturer, on replacing air filters in your house, but a good rule of thumb is every 3-6 months.
The site is experiencing technical difficulties.